Monday, June 24, 2013

All Things Considered


I recently attended a meeting introducing a new concierge service to my office building. My first impression of the owner of the concierge services company was that he was skilled and likable, and a really good BS-er.

However, as I listened to the how behind his delivery promises, which, by the way, extended from dry cleaning drop-off/pick-ups, to car washing, to delivering gourmet lunches to our office from restaurants that do not offer take-out or catering, to everything in between, I came to realize this man could come really close to being all things to all people -- in our building anyway. That's right. For a negligible service fee, co-tentants could have access to virtually any service one's mind could conjure: dog sitting, plant watering, blood testing, and a host of others.

Nonetheless, even for one who's actual business relies on being all things to all people, there must come a time when delivery is not feasible. Then what?

This got me thinking about the businesses I've come across over my career, specifically those that do not focus time, money and energies on targeting specific audiences but instead, try to be all things to all people; go for reach over frequency.

Well, I'm here to tell you there is no greater business sin as far as forgiveness is concerned than promising and not delivering. When my gym refused to reimburse me a final month's debited payment after having canceled my membership weeks before, they got a big, black "X" on my mental list. There are plenty more gyms to consider. When Verizon failed to fix a cable reception issue after 3+ visits, it was onto Comcast. And, when my daughter's pediatrician misdiagnosed her TWICE, we headed down the road to the next practice. I'm sure you have plenty of your own personal, disappointing examples.

In a time of immediate gratification, trying to be all things to all people is analogous with setting oneself up for failure. (Though I am rooting for the concierge service to succeed.)

So, use your coveted and limited marketing dollars wisely; choose your audience and concentrate on delivering your products or services to them exactly as promised. They will keep coming back.

That's my two cents for this week.

Thank you for tuning in!
-Natalie





No comments:

Post a Comment